Ronald McDonald House
Ronald McDonald House at Alder Hey is an independent charity which works in partnership with Alder Hey Children’s Hospital and Ronald McDonald Charities.
The House is as short walk away from Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, just a short walk from the wards and provides free accommodation for families whose children are inpatients.
The House can accommodate up to four people per room. Families also have access to washing facilities, kitchens, a playroom, library, lounges and outdoor play facilities.
Do I need to book accommodation before I arrive?
Accommodation can be pre-booked, the criteria is the following;
The House is full almost every night so a priority system is used:
1. Families live more than an hour away from the hospital.
2. The child needs to be in Liverpool the night before a planned operation because they have an early morning surgery slot, and it is too far to travel on the day of surgery ( for example a family who is coming from North Wales but has an 8am surgery slot)
3. There are no guarantees that accommodation will be available, and we can only confirm a day or two before.
4. This needs to be booked through the hospital.
When these referrals have been allocated, Ronald McDonald House staff will allocate other referrals.
Can I still use Ronald McDonald House even if I do not have accommodation?
Families are welcome to come over and use the Day Centre where there is a television, toys, facilities for refreshments, bath and shower. Please ask the ward to inform the House if you are planning on coming to use the facilities.
What do I need to bring with me if I am staying at Ronald McDonald House?
Please bring towels with you. Hair dryers are available but are not kept in the rooms. Ironing facilities are also available. Each room has a family handbook with information about local facilities like supermarkets, banks etc.
How do I contact the House directly?
Office hours are Monday – Friday 8am-7pm, Saturday/Sunday and Bank Holidays 9am-5pm.
More in section
- Ronald McDonald House
- Getting to Alder Hey
- Finding your way around
- Information for young people
- Staying on a ward
- What to bring
- Wheelchairs & assisted access
- Facilities at Alder Hey
- Local facilities
- Visitors and relatives charter
- Subject access requests
- Patient information leaflets
- Ask Oli Chatbot
- Ward 3C
- Overseas Visitors