Dental and Orthodontics
Our dentistry and orthodontics service cares for children and young people who have been referred from their dentist. We care for children with complex needs, as well as emergency patients who have large abscesses, and those who have suffered a trauma injury needing specialist attention.
We run a 24 hour on-call service for children who have suffered trauma or have serious abscesses, plus a range of care and treatment:
- Including a full range of fillings, extractions, advanced surgical procedures and dentures for children
- For emergency cases when children visit the Emergency Department
- For children with disabilities or complex needs
- For children who are anxious about treatment
- Under local or general anaesthetic when required
Please call us on 0151 252 5563.
If you have an appointment you need to rearrange or cancel, please contact our Appointment Centre.
Information for professionals
We are primarily a tertiary referral centre for children with complex medical, behavioural or learning problems. The most frequent referrals include:
- Trauma—both soft tissue and dental/alveolar
- Infections—including children with severe facial swellings which may cause respiratory issues
- Children with dental decay who require multiple extractions who require hospital admission. These are usually children who need 6 or more teeth extracting, below 3 years of age or have weight issues either too low or too high
- Routine Dentistry is provided for our patients, both on an outpatient and inpatient basis
- General anaesthesia is available for those children who are unable to accept treatment whilst awake; they are usually children with special needs
- We liaise closely with our medical colleagues and all treatment is carried out after consultation. If inpatient care is needed then this will be arranged accordingly