Alder Hey is recognised as one of the leading paediatric rheumatology units in the UK, providing specialist care to patients and leading research into better, safer treatments and interventions for children with rheumatology conditions.
We are also proud to be the UK's first ever Centre of Excellence for Childhood Lupus.
We use a wide range of medications and therapies to care for patients with severe chronic inflammatory conditions. Some conditions are life-long and can have an enormous impact on the child, as well as the wider family. Many conditions can affect different parts of the body, are rare and can be difficult to diagnose.
We care for children with conditions including:
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Juvenile-onset systemic lupus erythematosus
- Juvenile dermatomyositis
- Childhood scleroderma
- Systemic vasculitis
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
- Chronic musculoskeletal regional pain syndromes as well as a wide range of other inflammatory conditions
- Mechanical disorders affecting the musculoskeletal system
Please contact us via the hospital switchboard on 0151 228 4811 or call:
- Catherine Sumner, Secretary to the Consultants: 0151 282 4521
- Nurse specialists: 0151 293 3556
- Clinical Rheumatology Research Nurse: 0151 252 5859
- Physiotherapy Department: 0151 252 5236
- Rheumatology Doctor’s bleep: (During office hours, if nurses or secretaries unavailable): via Switchboard 0151 228 4811
- UK JSLE Cohort study & Repository: 0151 293 3566
More about lupus
The LUPUS UK Centres of Excellence award scheme is designed to recognise and reward specialist lupus clinics that offer a high quality of care for people with lupus and to ensure that these standards are maintained.
Alder Hey is proud to be the UK's first Centre of Excellence for children and young people with lupus.