Orthopaedics, Trauma & Spinal
Every year, the Orthopaedic and Trauma Service at Alder Hey see and are involved in over 10,000 elective outpatient consultations and around 11,000 fracture clinic consultations.
Our department provides outreach outpatient services at The Countess of Chester Hospital, Arrowe Park Hospital and Southport and Ormskirk District Hospital.
Thanks to Alder Hey Children’s Charity funding, the department has the UK’s first EOS machine for children – allowing us to take next generation x-rays whether the patient is sitting or standing.
We work closely with Alder Hey’s innovation team, and recently started to use 3D printing technology to produce models from patient scans.
This allows sugeons to have an exact replica to use as a guide in the operating theatre.
As well as daily fracture and orthopaedic clinics, we run a number of specialist clinics:
- Multi-disciplinary clinics
- Baby hip clinic
- Normal Variant clinic for toddlers
- Adolescent knee clinic
- CP follow-up clinic
- Ponsetti clinic
We work closely with our Orthotics service, the team responsible for producing custom splints, braces, footwear etc for patients.
If your child has been listed to have insertion of 8 Plates, you can read more information about the procedure, aftercare and the long term care plan here.
The North West Movement Analysis Centre
This specialist service offers 3D instrumented gait analysis, Electromyography (EMG), force plates and dynamic Pedobarography.
Our partners at Edge Hilll University have developed the resources ‘Coming to Spinal Clinic’ with young people who have scoliosis and their parents based on research findings. Our free and downloadable resource is made up of three parts
- A short animation (below) for young people to help them know what to expect when they come to spinal clinic and how to get the most out of their clinic visit.
- A prep (preparation) sheet to help young people and parents think about what they want to ask or find out about when they are in clinic. Click here to view/download.
- An information leaflet for parents to help them know what to expect when they bring their child to spinal clinic. Click here to view/download.